Friday, November 7, 2008

Threading Twitter


So yesterday I learned something about others as well as myself.

In following various individuals through Twitter, creating my threaded network, I realized a couple of strengths of the medium as well as some weaknesses and it's only because no matter what kind of fabulous software exists, for the most part, people still need to be involved.

I was assessing the kind of information I receive through my day and thought it was time to prune a little here and there. I've unsubscribed to a few newsletters that just weren't speaking to me anymore. Some of them because they were repetitive and although used different words were essentially saying the same thing.

The same thing happened with Twitter. I'm looking to connect with real people; the kind I can relate to. There were a couple just sharing their pitch and propaganda and I will decide upon them later. There are those I'm following that haven't posted...ever since I chose to follow them. I guess they aren't really hurting anything being on my following list. And then there are those I don't agree with or offer very bold statements.

This is what I learned about us:
  1. They have strong opinions.
  2. They voice their perspectives.
  3. I should dig deeper.
  4. I can respect them.
You see in our sound byte lives Twitter feeds our need for pieces we can digest quickly. We are often quick to make judgements. Anyone worth following will go to the effort of expanding on their thoughts through their blog and you should dig deeper if you are moved by something. And there it was. Effort. That's something I admire. Confidence: something else I admire. Speaking your truth is huge on my list!

So culling has become more than originally thought. Turns out the people I thought I would ditch are the people I'm admiring most. Thanks for the lesson Loren Feldman @1938media. As for the other sensationalists that aren't consistent in their story or authenticity are the ones I'm blasting!

So put in the effort and I will follow.

Who knew?

No comments: