Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Opportunity Networks


"May I assist? It's what I do."

If I could bill $5 for every time I say that I would have a nice vacation planned for next week. Truth is, it's a nice way of showing, actually doing, what I do for other people. Most times, when in a social setting or networking event, I take every chance I get to speak up, step forward and get involved in what is happening around me.

People usually chuckle, some groan since it's so direct to what I do. Regardless, I see the opportunity and take it. Sometimes it's simply helping a presenter handout materials or holding a door. Regardless, the comment is noted and recognized. Direct association with me and jumping in to get a job done which is what I'm about. If people are lighthearted and enjoy the scene unfolding then all the better for all of us.

I'm learning how true to my core helping, assisting, contributing to other people's lives is to me. It's even happening online now that I'm using Twitter (@nimbleassistant). I'm noticing what people are requesting and if I can add something positive, even it it's a referral to someone I'm following or being followed by, I can't help but pass it on! I'm really there to learn from others, share with others and develop the best resources for those within the Nimble Neighbourhood.

I am learning a lot indeed. It really doesn't take long before you can sort out the people who are there for #1 and not the collective. They won't be around for long. I'm glad I can unfollow people and block others. It's all about creating the network and attracting people who can support you in your goals.

Sometimes, it's the simple stuff that makes the biggest difference. May I assist? It's what I do.

Nimbly,
JCM

No comments: