Friday, February 6, 2009

Have I Met You Recently?

Just because you network online, doesn't mean you shouldn't network face to face. I mentioned the three different ways to network in an earlier post and actually put my own theory into action this week with three different networking events...almost!

The Small Business Centre
hosts Networking Wednesday on the 1st Wednesday of every month. Friends and entrepreneurs gathered at TrisanOne and were warmly welcomed by Lorraine Landgren. The room was abuzz with eager entrepreneurs to check in with old and new acquaintances alike.

Members of the EClub always enjoy meeting up there while representing the club. Greeters Jayme Cousins (In House Logic) and Cathy Brown-Swanton (The Studio Wellness Clinic) were pros at ushering in attendees by having a secret password...something about the flying distance of a swallow...or colour. Which side of the door do you think I chose? Adam Malamis (Similam Media) gave a small presentation about our EClub and why he decided to join.

I met some new faces and businesses too! Dan Renwick of Network Solutions introduced himself and an established company (a Div. of VBM Incorporated) I hadn't known existed in the computer sector of the city. It has been right under our noses all along! On the same theme, Dan Wright is full of enthusiasm about his new company: Prowire Solutions. Adam and I both agreed he has a great business card and he can hook you up for music, video, and surveillance. I was particularly delighted when Cathy Obright (a Business & Personal Coach) from Brighten Your Future Coaching came up and requested a card in anticipation of her client looking for admin support. Thanks Cathy! Next I met Renny Thomson a travel consultant for YYZ Travel Group. We talked travel with Adam and how sometimes you really only want a one-way ticket.

Before Networking Wednesday wrapped up I was determined to wish my EClub fellow, Sean Sweeney of Fortress Data Vaulting the utmost of luck for the upcoming Venture Prize London competition. I'm cheering for you Sean!

And here's a twist; where online meets offline. James Rivers, Titan Marketing Strategies (@jamesrivers on Twitter) said as soon as he came to the door I needn't introduce myself because he already knew who I was. I knew who he was too! It was great (and always is) to meet someone you've been chatting with online. The kind of chatter (or twitting) one does with Twitter is very casual (yet professional depending on who you follow and choose to converse with) so we didn't need to make small talk. That's so neat! Not only is he developing a fabulous Twitter program package, James has a great marketing mind with all kinds of tech savvy. I was delighted to shake his hand.

This is the perfect seguay to the next event I was to attend that night: London Tweetup and Geek Dinner. In between events though I decided one was probably enough for the day and in looking at the mirror, decided to visit a friend under the weather instead. I will make it to the next thought. Promise!

Bright and early the next morning, I packed up my children and arrived for the 7:00 a.m. Summit Referral Network meeting. I was substituting for Nancy Kirwin of Townsend Mutual Insurance, a woman of integrity, compassion with a sense of humour! There was an intimate group that morning with Brenda Feenstra (Feenstra Interior Design) at the helm, Ann Leeson (Investment Planning Council of Canada) , Winn Barnett, Independent Mary Kay Director, Wayne Mann (Entrepreneur's Source), Ken Davison (MedIt) and Ryan Yeo (Blackfriar's Beauty Salon). During breakfast we heard aboud each other's business, discussed their fun night that night, and I got to soap box about Twitter and Social Media. Winn had some great items ready for purchase just in time for Valentine's Day too.

Thank you to everyone I met and discussed various things with over those two days. It was great to reconnect with some faces I haven't seen in a while and reassuring there were many more people to learn from.

Being an online networker has it's advantages; scope for one. As comfortable as it is to dialogue in various social media forums, you should still make a direct human effort to talk with the people you encounter. It's an acid test since there is no backspace or delete key on the telephone or in person.

Nimbly,
JCM

2 comments:

BJDEC said...

Thank you Jenn for including Summit Referral Network in your network travels and for your comments on the importance of face to face networking. REAL business is still done with REAL people on or off the web.

Brenda Feenstra
Interior Decorator & Colour Consultant

Nimble One said...

You're most welcome and right Brenda!