Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remember.

Today is Remembrance Day and I am drawn to the honouring and support to those in my community.

I can recall in primary school (in northern Ontario), trekking to the local cenotaph with my class. It was cold and snowing and I didn't know why we were doing this. As happy as I was to be out of the classroom, I'm sure the excitement was waning with each step.

When the silence fell, I watched the veterans and I distinctly remember their faces in solemnity. Some with tears...then I could sympathize. They weren't cold. They weren't wishing they were somewhere else. They were there to help us remember and appreciate, collectively, what we have and so were we.

There was a time when I didn't honour Remembrance Day. Then my children came and I felt responsible in teaching them the importance of respect and thinking beyond themselves. We went together; the only family there with children. They were well behaved and understood the need to be quiet. I wish I would have had a camera when my little boy went up to a decorated veteran and said thank you...and his sister followed. A few tears formed among us. They have a sense of appreciation and I'm proud of them.

So what does this have to do with the business of administration?

There is greater strength when we all remember the path, the tribulations and finally celebrate together in jubilation. A common goal, motivated team members and determination can change the world.

Is your corp a corps accomplishing great things with collaborative effort? Or, are you a standalone soldier?

Nimbly in appreciation,
JCM

No comments: