Monday, March 16, 2009

Don't Hold Back.

Keep it simple. Don't hold back. We've all heard that before, no? But how do we really do it? Sometimes our egos get in the way and insist upon being elaborate or defined a certain way.

Recently, I have received newsletters with slight errors in them. As I came across the errors (and don't get me wrong, I make my own errors on a regular basis) the words "get it out 'good enough'" from various gurus echo in my ears. In an altering world of human acceptance and connectedness I think we are forgiving in ways we haven't previously been. I thought of my interactions with both of these individuals and what I remembered was their laughter, genuineness and worldly intention. Quite frankly these types of slight errors no longer matter in my big picture. This does not mean I'm not committed to correct messaging, proper marketing techniques or good English. My point is human connection and how we feel towards a person, product or service will overrule small typos and formatting incongruity.

Life isn't perfect, we aren't perfect, and if we are attracting the right customers, evangelists and supporters, they will lump the mis-perfections too. So do your thing, spread your word, share your talents...we'll all be the better for it.

Nimbly,
JCM

4 comments:

JMC said...

The 80/20 rule certainly holds sway in my business. 80% of the effort in a project is apportioned to the last 20% of the work.

The perspective that I take on this is that we can accomplish the lions-share of our work fairly easily, but the real value comes in from the care and intensity with is required to elevate work beyond the average.

I agree, don't sweat the small stuff, but it's these details that can make good work great.

Nimble One said...

Thank you Jayme. I definitely agree with what can separate good from great. Sometimes I suspect we don't know what we're great at until we "perceive" it's good enough...which may result in lost opportunity.

Every contact counts indeed and depending upon what kind of product or service we offer, I think some messages carry more weight. - JCM

About Us said...

Great photo! Love it. And coming from a writer, you may find this odd, but you're right; at times "good is good enough." (I'm actually wondering if mine is one of the newsletters you are referring to...)

If going over and over a piece is your way of procrastinating or sabotaging your own success, get over it and post it...then move on. No matter how many times you edit, you will always find something else to change...and often you still miss that little tpyo (typo).

Nimble One said...

Thank you Sue (and no I don't think it was yours)!