Monday, March 9, 2009

Networking = Dating for Business

The first Wednesday of the month is a busy day for me, but I love it! I have blogged about Networking Wednesdays (London Small Business Centre) before; referencing the new people I've met or the ones I've reconnected with. For the last few consecutive months, there has been a record crowd so that's always fun!

There were a couple of people there I was delighted to reconnect with. It was a new event to some. Little did I know I would be heeding my own advice (and getting back to basics) later on in the evening at the second event I attended: the London Geek Dinner and Tweetup; a brand new experience for me.

New social settings are always a little unnerving, no matter how confident you are or what reason you have for going. Networking for business doesn't need to be any different than when you're looking for a date. You are, after all, looking to create a new relationship.

Sometimes we fumble for words to use or decide to not participate in the opportunity despite being there in person. Here are some questions I keep in my back pocket when I find a lull in the conversation. By the time I get to the fifth one and it just seems like I'm firing questions, and there really isn't any connection, I recognize it's time to move on to meet someone else.

For those of you who can relate to the dating scene, here are some translations for you.

"What's your sign" = "What business are you in?"
"Where do you work" = "How do people find you?"
"Do you come here often?" = "Where else do you promote what you do?"
and the more personal: "May I buy you a drink?" = "Tell me what motivates you to do what you do."

Finally, when it's time to move around...

"...so how 'bout those {insert sport's team}" = "Let me introduce you to..."

When networking, I absorb as much information as possible...which is why I'm pretty whupped when it's over.

My motivation is quite simply this: "What do you do, and how can you help any of the people I have ever met or will ever meet?" You see, I love connecting people. Finding new ways, products and services that can make this world a better place (one person at a time) is very rewarding for me. And thus, I love networking.

So next time you've pumped yourself up to get out and network, don't forget to participate and be clear and articulate about what you have to offer.

Nimbly,
JCM

No comments: